Call us first to discuss your situation. If you prefer, several our insurance companies offer after hours claims assistance, which may be useful, especially in an emergency or major loss situation.
Keep in mind, if the loss is reported directly to the insurer you would not have had the benefit of discussing the situation and possible repercussions of a claim under your policy with us. This may be useful, especially if the loss is a minor one, which might be better handled outside of your policy.
As brokers this is our job – to represent you and help you make an informed decision -
- Take whatever action is necessary to prevent any further injury or damage. For example, if a pipe has burst at home, shut off the water supply. Or, if you have been involved in an accident, prevent any further damage to your car.
- Don’t dispose of any damaged goods without first getting your insurer’s approval.
- If you have suffered a loss for which you are insured, inform us of the nature of your loss immediately! After regular business hours and on weekends, you may call the Insurance Company directly.
- Be prepared to provide the details of the occurrence. You’ll be required to supply information about the circumstances of the claim, as well as reasonable evidence to justify the amount claimed. If there are any witnesses to the incident get their name and phone number.
- If safe to do so, take pictures of any and all damage.
- If involved with another vehicle, get their Insurance information and License Information and take a picture of their license plate